We would like to remind you of our Maundy Thursday Service at 6:30pm here at Surfside Presbyterian Church. To begin our evening, we will have a reception in the Fellowship Hall. Then at 7pm, we will proceed together into our sanctuary at approximately 7pm for our Maundy Thursday Communion Service.
A Maundy Thursday worship service recalls the last Passover Supper that Jesus had with his disciples. This took place immediately before his arrest and subsequent crucifixion. As such, our time together at the beginning of the evening recalls the meal and fellowship that Jesus had with his dearest friends. This will take place in the Fellowship Hall at 6:30pm. At 7pm, the mood of our worship will change. At that time we will move into the sanctuary together. During worship, we will remember that solemn moment at the end of the Passover when Christ broke the bread and raised the cup and said, “Do this in remembrance of me.” As we gather in the sanctuary we will sing together in solemn remembrance, recalling the events surrounding this moment in Jesus’ passion, and then we will take communion together.
A nursery will be available for infants-3 yrs. old. If you have children with you who have not yet gone through communicant’s class, we would welcome them to come forward with you. However we would ask you to not to allow them to partake in communion until after they have gone through the communicant’s class. Here are few other details of the evening:
- We will ask that no one enters the sanctuary until 7pm.
- The congregation will gather in the fellowship hall on the south end of our campus.
- There will be a light “stand up” reception available where people will be invited to eat.
- At 6:30pm Mr. Jeff Angulo will pray for the food at and the meal will begin.
- At 6:50pm Mr. Angulo will stand in front of the double doors that exit into the main hall. From there Jeff will call everyone to dispose of their cups and plates and prepare to enter the sanctuary together.
- 6:55pm Jeff will then give a short explanation of the purpose of Maundy Thursday and why we are gathered together for worship. He will then lead the congregation into the sanctuary.
- 7:00pm After everyone is seated, our worship service will begin.
- After the readings and singing, Pastor Tim will give a call to the table and we will begin communion. Pastors Julian Riddle, Bill Day, Terry Baxley, and Tim Melton will be serving communion.
- The congregation will come to the front, starting from the back row, and then proceed row by row from back to front. Pastor Tim will give instructions.
- We will have ushers assist you with directions as well.
- Again, starting from the back row, you will come to the table by walking up the center aisle, moving to the side of the table that corresponds with where you were seated. After taking communion you walk down the outside aisle back to your seat. (For a visual, see graphic below)
- After communion, Mr. Will Parker will come forward and give direction on how to leave the sanctuary and then give the benediction.
* After partaking in communion and prayer, you will then return to your seats by moving to the outer aisle. We have included a graphic to give you a picture of how things will flow.