Contents: Expansion Project Informational Meeting / Cherokee Missions Team / Youth NY Missions Trip / Surfside Kids / Sunday Sermon “Christ is the Prize” / “The All Surpassing Glory of Knowing Christ” by Paul David Tripp / “The Ultimate Prize of the Gospel” by John Piper / Prayer List
Expansion Project Informational Meeting and Chicken Dinner – Next Wednesday night, July 29, we will be having a Gerry Friedman Summer Wednesday Night Fried Chicken Dinner @6:00 pm! Menu: Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, Green Beans, Cole Slaw, Homemade Rolls, Dessert & Drink $3.00 – Adults $1.50 – Kids 12 and under. Following our dinner we will be having an informational meeting with our Project Co-chairman Mr. Ricky Cox, and our builder Mr. Ed McDowell, who will bring us up-to-date on our building expansion program, which will soon be underway with possible completion by the end of this year.
Cherokee Missions Team – We would appreciate your continued prayer for the team who will be serving Scott and Ruth Hill. Our Team: Chemo and Lillian Feliciano, Autumn, Cherish and Jazmine Oliver, Sarah Frances Way, Lucy Hay and Darlene Dildine. The team left on July 18 and will be returning on July 25. Below are just some of the things we would like you to be praying for:
- That the Lord would prepare our hearts for the unexpected.
- That we would be flexible with a sweet God honoring Spirit.
- That the Lord would give us a real love for the Cherokee people.
- That we would be good listeners and ready to share God’s love through word and deed. James 1:19
- That God would go before us to prepare the hearts of the Cherokee people to hear and receive God’s word.
- That they would feel comfortable to share their life stories with us.
- For safety in traveling to and from Cherokee, NC, and our travels while we are there.
- That we would respect, love and care for each other on the team.
Youth NY Missions Trip – Please pray for the Operation Exodus New York City Youth Missions Team. The team is leaving tomorrow morning. James Booth (Trip Leader), Marena Willeford, Haley Brooks, Anna Corley, John David Vereen, Taylor Koppel, Megan Koppel, Alex Booth, Rebekah Booth, Kara Booth, Mitchell Woodard, and Kasie Ingram. Pray for:
- Safe travels to and from NYC
- For the hearts of the children at Operation Exodus
- Opportunities to share the gospel with the children/parents at Operation Exodus
Parent’s Night Out – Friday, August 7th 6:30pm – 8:30pm Terry and Don’s Gymnastics!!!! Dinner will be served! $5 per kid. Multi-kid family discount. 2 for $8 3 for $10!!! Please let Mrs. Renee know if you’ll be able to come!!!! 843-367-8587.
Early Sunday Morning Help Needed – Renee is looking for someone to disciple a few early rising children during the 8:30am service for just 5 weeks! Curriculum and all supplies will be provided. Please be in prayer about the Lord using you to teach our future leaders! If you are interested contact Renee Goldfinch at: email@example.com
This week our Sunday Sermon “Christ is the Prize” – This sermon will focus on Christ as the ultimate treasure of the gospel found in Philippians 3:12-21 which says, “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained. Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do. For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.”
Call to Worship the Prize of Christ: From Psalm 105:1-4, Phil 3:14 – Oh give thanks to the Lord! Call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples! Sing to him! Sing praises to him! Tell of all his wondrous works! Glory in his holy name! Let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice! Seek the Lord and his strength! Seek his presence continually! Knowing Christ is the all-surpassing value of the Gospel. So seek the Lord! Press on toward the goal for the glorious prize of Christ Jesus!
The All Surpassing Glory of Knowing Christ / Paul David Tripp – “It is only when you deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow your Lord that you begin to experience the transcendent humanity for which you were created. Remember, Christ’s call to you is a rescue. In asking you to deny yourself and follow, He is giving to you what you could never earn or achieve on your own. You will not find it in your marriage, in parenting your children, in accumulating possessions, in the esteem of friends, in theological knowledge, or in the most beautiful location. Christ offers you what you cannot earn and what the physical creation can never offer: the all-surpassing glory of knowing Him. This is the world’s best prize. This is the universe’s best meal. This is the only thing that will give life meaning and fill you with lasting joy.
“The Ultimate Prize of the Gospel / John Piper – “The ultimate good of the gospel is seeing and savoring the beauty and value of God. God’s wrath and our sin obstruct that vision and that pleasure. You can’t see and savor God as supremely satisfying while you are full of rebellion against Him and He is full of wrath against you. The removal of this wrath and this rebellion is what the gospel is for. The ultimate aim of the gospel is the display of God’s glory and the removal of every obstacle to our seeing it and savoring it as our highest treasure. “Behold Your God!” is the most gracious command and the best gift of the gospel. If we do not see Him and savor Him as our greatest fortune, we have not obeyed or believed the gospel.”
- Bud Shepard – Recuperating from a recent heart attack – Praise the Lord he was able to worship with us yesterday! – If you could help out with providing a low fat/low sodium meal one night during this week, please click on or copy and paste the following web site to sign up: http://www.takethemameal.com/meals.php?t=ISLQ2127 Last Name: Shepard Password: 9398
- Our Cherokee Missions Team – ministering in Cherokee, NC this week
- New York Youth Missions Team – leaving for New York tomorrow morning
- Jay & Lynn Herman – Jay with prostate cancer treaments
- Sherri Anderson – hip replacement surgery 8/3
- Sam Paul – recuperating from recent eye surgery
- Stan Canter – patient at Myrtle Beach Manor following a recent stroke
- Les Pheulpin – has a rare type of liver cancer
- Clelia – (Sam & Dorothy Paul’s daughter) – as she will be receiving radiation treatments for cancer
- Debra Strauss – (Art & Arlene Strauss’ daughter) has ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease), please pray for a miracle for her healing as there is no cure at this time and only God’s great love can save her.